This shaved brussels sprout salad, topped with Marcona almonds and pancetta for extra crunch and flavor, is a simple yet delicious side dish.
Veggies, veggies, veggies …..I’m back on the veggie quest and this shaved brussels sprout salad is the perfect solution to getting more veggies in your diet. Now, before you make a face, I promise, it really is good! My mom loves brussels sprouts – she used to cook them when I was a kid and I thought they smelled awfuI, so I’d never been a fan of brussels sprouts – sorry Mom! Cooked, even with butter and bacon, to me they still have an odd taste and smell. However, it turns out that raw, it’s a whole different story.
When you use a mandoline to shave them in thin slices you get a ton of fresh flavor from brussels sprouts. All I can say is YUM! I actually think I might be addicted to this shaved brussels sprout salad – which is a big statement coming from someone who doesn’t really like veggies all that much. I could eat this every day – oh, I actually have eaten it every day this week!
things may want for this recipe
Mandoline – This OXO mandoline is reasonably priced and allows you to select the desired thickness of the slices. It also comes with a few different blades making it a pretty versatile kitchen tool.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Yield 2-3 servings
This shaved brussels sprout salad, topped with Marc0na almonds and pancetta for extra crunch and flavor, is a simple yet delicious side dish.
- 2 oz pancetta, chopped
- 2 cups shaved brussels sprouts, about 3/4 pound
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp shallots, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat; add pancetta and cook for 10-12 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Remove the tough outer leaves from the brussels sprouts. Using a mandoline, shave the brussels sprouts (if you don't have a mandoline, you can slice them by hand). Place shaved brussels sprouts in a medium bowl. Add the almonds, lemon zest and pancetta.
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, shallots and pepper together in a small bowl. Add olive oil and whisk until combined. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Top with shaved parmesan before serving.
Courses Side Dishes
Updated April 2017. Originally published May 2015.