I’m a total breakfast person and these egg muffins are an easy solution for a quick weekday breakfast on the go! Eggs are one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast; a little bacon with them doesn’t hurt either, though I try to refrain from indulging too frequently!
I have either eggs or yogurt and granola for breakfast pretty much every weekday, so I have to come up with ways to make it a little interesting. These muffins were one of my solutions; sort of like a mini frittata but easier to make, and to transport when necessary. While the turkey sausage might not quite be the same bacon, it does give these muffins a great flavor and some extra protein too, while keeping me on track in the healthier eating area.
I tried to keep these simple with just a few ingredients, however feel free to add other veggies as you like, or even make them meatless. Enjoy!!
- 2 oz ground turkey sausage
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ⅓ C baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp nonfat milk
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ C finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 4 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray, making sure each cup is thoroughly coated.
- In a small sauté pan, cook sausage over medium high heat until crumbled and cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Return pan to heat; add olive oil and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms for 1-2 minutes until slightly tender. Add mushrooms to sausage.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, milk and ground pepper together.
- Divide sausage and mushroom mixture among the 4 muffin cups. Pour egg mixture over the sausage and mushrooms. You may have a little left over depending on the exact size of your muffin cups.
- Divide cheese evenly among the four muffins, sprinkling on top of each muffin.
- Cook for 25 minutes, or until muffin is firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.