This easy, creamy black bean soup comes together in less than 30 minutes, making it the perfect winter warmer!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the products via the product link, I’ll receive a small commission.
It’s been the never-ending winter here in Chicago. They are calling it the Polar Vortex – I had never heard that term before and hope I never hear it again!! Since it’s cold, COLD, COLD here, it seems like the perfect day for some soup, so I thought I’d post a quick recipe that’s ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s naturally vegan and vegetarian too!
Adding homemade soup to your weekly meal prep is a great way to have a packable lunch on hand and it also makes a good option for a quick weeknight dinner. Generally, making soup from scratch is pretty easy and you usually end up with a much healthier, much tastier version than you would get from a can.
Black bean soup is definitely one of my favorites. I prefer it a bit more creamy than chunky so this version is pureed using an immersion blender. If you don’t already have one I’d recommend thinking about adding this to your collection of kitchen tools. It’s very useful for pureeing soups and has a number of other uses. You can always use a blender instead. Just be sure to remove the center of the lid and cover with a towel to allow the steam from the hot soup to escape when pureeing.
additional notes from the kitchen
- I like to make this soup a little spicy by adding the chipotle pepper and then topping it with some fun things like a little greek yogurt, a big scoop of pico de gallo and some crushed tortilla chips.
- This soup freezes well, so if you want to have extra you can make a double batch. I recommend freezing in 2-3 cup portions for easier defrosting.
- I use canned beans for this soup. I actually often used canned beans. You can generally find them with no salt added, which is what you want to look for. If you keep a few cans on hand in your panty they give you lots of options for quick and easy meals.
- I’m a big fan of making a pot of soup or two over the weekend and then having it on hand for the entire week. Many soups can actually be frozen too. If you are looking for some other good soup options check out this Easy Tomato Bisque or this Tuscan White Bean & Sausage Soup.
Quick & Creamy Black Bean Soup
This quick & creamy black bean soup comes together in less than 30 minutes making it the perfect warm-up for a cold winter day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo for topping
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add spices and cook until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add broth and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil then add black beans. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until just slightly chunky. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Top with pico de gallo and serve immediately.
After cooling, the soup can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days.
Courses Soups & Chilis
Serving Size 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Originally published December 2014. Updated January 2018.0