These Chilaquiles Verde are a hearty tasty breakfast that is quick enough for a weekday and also fun for weekend brunch!
notes from the kitchen
- I’d recommend making this dish in one large non-stick skillet or sauté pan. It’s easier for clean-up and gives you more room to stir in the tortilla chips. A 10″ pan will work unless you are doubling the recipe; then I’d go with a 12″ pan. If you are making more than 4 servings you’ll want to do it in batches so you don’t end up with tortillas chips all over the place.
- To make this dish quick and easy to make, I use store-bought salsa. Whole Foods has a great green salsa which is what I use, however use your favorite or experiment with different ones until you find one you like. The heat in this dish comes from the salsa, so the hotter the salsa the spicer the Chilaquiles will be!
- If you want to get a little fancy for serving you can transfer everything into small cast iron skillets. I’d heat the skillets up a little before adding the Chilaquiles. That will keep everything warm a bit longer.
- Feel free to get creative with topping for this dish. As I mentioned, I often toss some sliced avocado on top, and I’ve even added chicken a few times as well!
things may want for this recipe
Non-Stick Skillet – Some things just work best in a non-stick skillet and these are one of them. While I love my stainless steel skillets, a good non-stick will save you a lot of clean-up with a dish like this.
- 1 cup green salsa
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 oz tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup queso fresco crumbled
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
Add the salsa to a non-stick pan. Heat at medium low until the salsa starts to bubble slightly. Add the eggs and let sit for about 30 seconds to let them set. Add the red onions and then stir everything together and let the eggs begin to cook.
Wait about 1 minute and then add the tortilla chips, stirring gently to coat them with the egg mixture. Continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until the eggs are fully cooked. Everything will be slightly runny due to the salsa.
Transfer to two serving dishes and top with queso fresco, yogurt and cilantro. Serve immediately.